Monday 20 May 2013

The Job Lot

The following is a short story based around the theme of seeing a parent in a different light. Enjoy!

The onslaught commenced the very moment I arrived home. One foot through the door and I was bombarded with a multitude of complaints and orders, varying from “take off your shoes, don’t get mud on the carpet” to “go and hang your coat up, your bag doesn't belong there”, yet not a single hint of asking me how my day went. I had come to expect that of my Dad; a sullen expression was persistently etched across his weary face and his eyes were constantly glazed and distant. As a result, I never really took an interest into his affairs. He was always off on new ventures, travelling abroad for “business trips”, leaving early in the morning and returning late at night. There was never enough time for him to watch me play football on a Saturday or to attend my award ceremonies. I barely had a conversation with him, for he was permanently occupied with work-related tasks. Money wasn't an issue in our family and my requests for whatever I desired, be it magazines, video games, trainers or mobile phones, were often satisfied. We had multiple holidays throughout the year, and as pleasant as it was to feel the sun beating down blissfully upon me, my Father spent the majority of his time on the phone to clients and I didn't get the chance to do any sightseeing. It wasn't until I finally sat down at the dinner table one evening that I noted a change in atmosphere.

It was my Mother who aroused my suspicions. She was not her usual jovial, attentive self; instead she appeared distracted and troubled. Her tone was solemn at times and in some cases she had difficulty in finding the right words. The first few minutes of supper were held in grave silence. Both parents stared fixedly at their food as if they were expecting it to animate. Eventually, my Mother revealed the reason why such an uncomfortable tone was evident. Amidst a long-winded explanation, it came to my attention that Dad had lost his job. After pausing for a brief moment to let the shock set in, she went on to detail exactly how this affected me, announcing that there would be no more games consoles, gadgets or toys. At the time, my thoughts were incredibly selfish and narrow minded, and in my distress at receiving the news, I did not stop to consider what unemployment meant to my Dad. He did not utter a word that night, and I now realise that this was out of humiliation.

I was completely surprised the next morning when he offered to take me to school. During the journey, he seemed genuinely concerned with the day I had ahead of me, as he asked questions about lessons, exams and my grades. It felt as if I was getting acquainted with a whole new person. Following a strenuous 7 hours of education, I was met yet again by my Dad, who had decided to give me a lift home. Upon arrival, he proceeded to suggest a kick around at the park and I gladly accepted his invitation. We spent a long period of time playing penalty shoot-out  taking shots and practising corners and I found the experience particularly enjoyable and amusing, especially when he slipped over whilst attempting a volley. Over the subsequent months, it became apparent that this was not a one-off occurrence, as my Dad continued to watch my football games, play sports and take me out for picnics. Though he did succeed in finding a new occupation, there was still little money around and nothing seemed the same as before. I suddenly realised that all of his stress and frequent dismal moods were a result of the pressure of his job. He never had the time to listen to me because he was attempting as best he could to provide for his family. My Dad was able to preserve in spite of the demanding work and this truly reflects his strength of character. It took him losing his job for me to understand that it’s not easy being a parent. 

1 comment:

  1. A powerful transition. Great descriptive detail in the telling. I love the idea that the food was being stared at as though they expected it to 'animate'. Strong feelings make it really engaging.

    ReplyDelete